Day#1 is Done!

Today was a busy day for the Vaughan household.  We were up and out of the house by 8:15.  CC had a return visit to Triangle Ortho regarding his herniated disc.  He will go back on Monday for an injection to see if that provides any relief.

We left Triangle Ortho and headed to Duke Cancer Center.  We had a little time to kill, so I perused the Belk Boutique and found some super cute hats and caps (Hunter helped me pick them out) and a nifty shirt that zips on each side to give easy access to your ports.


I had an 11am appointment with my medical oncologists.  Everything was good but they realized I had not had an echocardiogram as yet – and that is a MUST before starting chemo.  They need your baseline readings, etc.  Lucky for me – they were able to get me scheduled in the Cardiac Diagnostic Unit for 1:00 pm.  I didn’t actually get into a room until 1:30, but the technician worked really hard to get everything she needed to send to the cancer clinic to give them the go ahead to start treatment!  They advised the infusion room that I was going to be a bit late, but I was still on the schedule to get my first dose TODAY!

We were put back in the transfusion room a little after 3pm.  I was given some zofran, decadron and ativan for anti-nausea first.  Then they hung an IV of Emend for nausea as well.  Next was a bag of Cytoxan, followed by 5 syringes of Epirubicin (it looked like red jello)!  And the final dose was the Fluorouracil which took about 5 minutes.  After that, the only left to do was to put the Neulasta OnPro on my arm.  This device will administer the Neulasta injection for me tomorrow night at the appropriate time.  This thing is amazing.  It pricked me shortly after she placed it on my arm…..and it somehow knows to wait from 24-27 hours and then start releasing the medication in my arm late tomorrow night.  What a lifesaver – this little contraption saves me from having to back to Duke every day after chemo to get a Neulasta shot.  This on pro is definitely the way to go!

Once the on pro had been placed on my arm, we were all set to leave!  I have to say, other than being tired, today was not that bad.  No weird tastes in my mouth, no awful smells or allergic reactions to anything initially and I pray that continues.

I’ve been advised to rest as much as possible…..that days 1&2 are doable, but day 3 really has you feeling bad.  I’m going to rest for sure – and I am praying that I won’t feel super terrible over the next week.

Thanks to everyone who called, texted or messaged us today to check on me.  That really means a lot.  Again, we have been humbled by the outpouring of support for us during this time.  You guys really are the best!

Blessings to each of you!


Joshua 1:9

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”


Author: temporarylumps

A Christian wife, mom, daughter and friend

2 thoughts on “Day#1 is Done!”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: